Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Movies & TV Shows (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=100)
+--- Thread: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Sol - 11-27-2022

Yellowstone is turning out to be one of my all time favorites...

1883, the spin off, has proven to be ok. Nowhere close to Yellowstone though, even if Sam Elliot steals the show.

House of the Dragon - Nowhere close to being as good as the books and the acting was meh. Nowhere close to Game of Thrones, the CGI even sucks at times, seems to be on a very limited budget. I hated the time jumps where they changed all (or just about) the actors. Like they keep doing on "The Queen", which fucks up the character depths.

Am getting to the final episode of Andor, which has proven to be a good Star Wars spin off.

Suggestions on what's good, what's not?

Big Grin

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 11-27-2022

I finished watching "1899" (TV Series 2022) - This show was quite the head trip.
Westworld meets The Matrix + Inception + "The Thirteenth Floor" + The Signal + Devs. Did not expect the ending revelation scene and the many questions still unanswered. The "Dark" creators do like a mind-bending ending.  Definitely my favorite sci-fi mystery series for 2022.

Spoilers::

Last episode at very end shows:
PROJECT PROMETHEUS:
Survival Mission to 42.043240, -44.375760
Passengers = 1423
Crew = 550
Date = Oct 19, 2099
CIARAN:
> Hello Sister.
> Welcome to Reality

Turns out the big pyramid is real!

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Minstrel - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 01:29 AM)Sol Wrote: Yellowstone is turning out to be one of my all time favorites...

1883, the spin off, has proven to be ok. Nowhere close to Yellowstone though, even if Sam Elliot steals the show.

House of the Dragon - Nowhere close to being as good as the books and the acting was meh. Nowhere close to Game of Thrones, the CGI even sucks at times, seems to be on a very limited budget. I hated the time jumps where they changed all (or just about) the actors. Like they keep doing on "The Queen", which fucks up the character depths.

Am getting to the final episode of Andor, which has proven to be a good Star Wars spin off.

Big Grin

I cannot be of assistance, kind Sir.
Black Mirror may be the last serial I recall watching.
Appreciate your (& EndTheMadnessNow's) suggestions, should the urge to resume serial-watching return...in the near future.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Sol - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 04:08 AM)Il EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: I finished watching "1899" (TV Series 2022) - This show was quite the head trip.
Westworld meets The Matrix + Inception + "The Thirteenth Floor" + The Signal + Devs. Did not expect the ending revelation scene and the many questions still unanswered. The "Dark" creators do like a mind-bending ending.  Definitely my favorite sci-fi mystery series for 2022.

Spoilers::

Last episode at very end shows:
PROJECT PROMETHEUS:
Survival Mission to 42.043240, -44.375760
Passengers = 1423
Crew = 550
Date = Oct 19, 2099
CIARAN:
> Hello Sister.
> Welcome to Reality

Turns out the big pyramid is real!

That is the one that I’m watching now. Still can’t figure out what the hell is going on, two episodes in. It’s suspenseful, that much is clear.  MinusculeCheers

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Freija - 12-02-2022

1899 was really good. The behind the scenes Making of 1899 was really interesting.

I just finished The Peripheral on Amazon and really enjoyed it and want more.

I binge watched Wednesday on Netflix and give it a thumbsup2

Ancient Apocalypse with Graham Hancock was entertaining.

I watched Season 1 of Warrior Nun so I had to watch Season 2!

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities was kind of gory and fun.

In from the Cold on Netflix was a spy thriller I enjoyed.

One more episode of Titans on HBOmax is in the queue for next week. It's pretty dumb. Finished Avenue 5 which was even dumber but sometimes I like stupid and ridiculous

Oh, there's so much more! I usually watch 1 to 3 movies a day and tend to go for sci-fi and similar types of weird stuff particularly if they have a female protagonist. If there's a series I like, I will often binge it straight through if it's all available at once.

Watched the movie Troll last night and was entertained and now off to watch Warriors of the Future

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - BIAD - 12-03-2022

Via TV-tech assistance from my son, I got to watch 'The Parallax View' again on Friday night and
will visit 'Soldier Blue' this evening (Sat). I'm deliberately wandering back down memory lane to
enjoy plot-lines that infuse one's imagination and helps the moving images on the TV screen to
enhance a story through the wider inventiveness of one's inbuilt cinema.
Namely, the Mind.
Smile

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Sol - 12-03-2022

@"Freija"#14 

Into Episode 4 of 1899. Weird AF.

Started watching Wednesday and so far, I'd say it's cute. Nothing fancy but it's ok.

Still watching Yellowstone, as episodes start dripping weekly and it still delivers.

Finished Andor and it's one of the best Star Wars spin-offs so far. Apparently, they've started shooting Season 2. As it all happens 4 years before Rogue One, I'm expecting it to get better and better as it goes. Some characters we haven't seen yet but may get there eventually. Thinking the Emperor and Vader here.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 12-04-2022

(12-03-2022, 09:38 AM)Sol Wrote: @"Freija"#14 

Into Episode 4 of 1899. Weird AF.

Started watching Wednesday and so far, I'd say it's cute. Nothing fancy but it's ok.

The best is yet to come. Cool

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Ninurta - 12-04-2022

(11-27-2022, 01:29 AM)Sol Wrote: Yellowstone is turning out to be one of my all time favorites...

Big Grin

I loved Yellowstone, but had to stop watching it when I got that ugly letter from Paramount. Evidently, Paramount does not want me watching their stuff, and since Yellowstone is a Paramount property, I had to give it up.

------------------------------------------------------

I've been binge watching "Justified". Great show. It's based on works of Elmore Leonard, and the setting is right around here (just across the state line in Harlan County, KY), but with a US Marshal in the mix. It's uncanny how well some of the actors got the accents and culture down, and the subject matter is, well, pretty close to ground reality sometimes. I never was a US Marshal or Deputy US Marshal, but I DID do some contract work for them to the point that they wanted  to deputize me, but the security outfit I was working for at the time wouldn't have it. Weird that, since I know for fact that some of their operatives in New Mexico at least have been deputized by the US Marshals Service, but still work for the company - they have "value added" status . I reckon it was a local office decision.

------------------------------------------------------

I also liked "Hell on Wheels", but in my opinion it kinda went downhill after Bohannon switched from the Union Pacific railroad to the Central Pacific Railroad. It' follows the construction of the first trans-continental railway spanning the US through a fictional character named Cullen Bohannon. My son swears that Bohannon is just like me, right down to even facial expressions, but I can't see it myself. 

Doc Durant played by Colm Meany in the show was a real person involved in the construction of the transcontinental railway and the Credit Mobelier scandal. A quote from the Durant character goes something like "Swede, half of these men are cutthroats, and the other half outright murderers... and ALL of them are afraid of Bohannon. That's what makes him valuable to me."

Some samples:

Trailer - 

"The Swede" (actually, a Norweigian, as he has to constantly remind folks, "real" name Thor Gunderson) is the nemesis of Bohannon, through almost the entire series. They take an instant dislike to one another upon meeting, and the relationship goes downhill from there. Bohannon had been a Confederate Cavalry Captain from Mississippi during the Civil War, and The Swede had been a clerk for the Union Infantry who had gotten captured and did time in Andersonville Prison Camp. They were never going to warm up to one another. It wasn't in the stars.

This is what happened to the first posse sent after Bohannon. Gunfights were a bit different in the days of black powder, when every shot had to count because you'd eventually have to reload - 

This is what happens to the posse sent after Bohannon and Elam after Bohannon rescues Elam from the saloon hanging mentioned above - 

Bohannon had been a slave owner before the Civil War, and it's a bit amazing that he and Elam become best friends and equals over the course of the series.

Bohannon executing a friend, because the friend requested him as executioner. After having survived the Civil War, Doc just didn't want a Yankee bullet to be what finally took him out.

The series is 4 or 5 seasons long, covering the years 1865-1869, so there is a lot more complexity than just the shootouts and whatnot posted here.

Bohannon's pistol is supposed to be a Confederate Griswold and Gunnison like Betsy, according to the dialog, but at no point did I ever see one in his hand. The prop master kinda dropped it on that one. Most of these scenes show an 1861 Colt Army revolver in .44 caliber. The Griswold was a Confederate copy of the 1851 Navy in .36 caliber, but with a brass frame and a round rather than octagonal barrel.

That's my curse - I notice details.

-------------------------------------------------------

A couple more series my son recommended to me, but which I have yet to watch, are "The English" and "Tulsa King". "The English" is a revisionist western set in 1890, and "Tulsa King" is an organized crime drama set in the modern day.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 03:50 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Bohannon's pistol is supposed to be a Confederate Griswold and Gunnison like Betsy, according to the dialog, but at no point did I ever see one in his hand. The prop master kinda dropped it on that one. Most of these scenes show an 1861 Colt Army revolver in .44 caliber. The Griswold was a Confederate copy of the 1851 Navy in .36 caliber, but with a brass frame and a round rather than octagonal barrel.

That's my curse - I notice details.

-------------------------------------------------------

A couple more series my son recommended to me, but which I have yet to watch, are "The English" and "Tulsa King". "The English" is a revisionist western set in 1890, and "Tulsa King" is an organized crime drama set in the modern day.

I had watched first 2 seasons of "Hell on Wheels" back in 2017. I forgot about it as a friend introduced me to an older show called "Deadwood" which I'm sure you've seen all 3 seasons and ended up watching it till the end. Lost track until you just posted on it. I thought it was a wicked awesome western. Had no clue about the gun details you mentioned.

I have "Tulsa King" on my list. First tv series starring Syl Stallone.

Started watching "Mayor of Kingstown" created by Taylor Sheridan (Nephew of former U.S. Marshal; known for  Yellowstone, 1883, Sicario, Hell or High Water, etc. Dark gritty series with action, drama, suspense, fast paced twists & turns with a good cast of characters.

Storyline: The McLusky family are power brokers tackling themes of systemic racism, corruption and inequality in Kingstown, Michigan, where the business of incarceration is the only thriving industry.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - GeauxHomeLittleD - 12-04-2022

Currently watching Barbarians on Netflix. So far so good. Germanic tribes V. Romans ala "Vikings" style.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Ninurta - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 06:18 AM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: I had watched first 2 seasons of "Hell on Wheels" back in 2017. I forgot about it as a friend introduced me to an older show called "Deadwood" which I'm sure you've seen all 3 seasons and ended up watching it till the end. Lost track until you just posted on it. I thought it was a wicked awesome western. Had no clue about the gun details you mentioned.

Yeah, I watched "Deadwood". That was one my son recommended to me, too. I watched the first episode, then binge-watched the rest. He said he had to warn me "it's got titties in it", and I had to inform him I wasn't scared of any titties...

Quote:I have "Tulsa King" on my list. First tv series starring Syl Stallone.

I haven't really checked in to where it can be found yet. Grace controls all the streaming services on her TV, and I control the cable services on mine. Between the two of us, we got it all covered except Netflix. We got rid of Netflix.

Quote:Started watching "Mayor of Kingstown" created by Taylor Sheridan (Nephew of former U.S. Marshal; known for  Yellowstone, 1883, Sicario, Hell or High Water, etc. Dark gritty series with action, drama, suspense, fast paced twists & turns with a good cast of characters.

Storyline: The McLusky family are power brokers tackling themes of systemic racism, corruption and inequality in Kingstown, Michigan, where the business of incarceration is the only thriving industry.

On my list.

(12-04-2022, 07:34 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Currently watching Barbarians on Netflix. So far so good. Germanic tribes V. Romans ala "Vikings" style.

I liked "Barbarians". There is another series, or maybe the same one since I can't recall the name of it, that pits Britons against Romans during the Roman invasion of Britain, with a 1960's theme song that reminds me of "Hurdy-Gurdy Man". That was a pretty good one, too. It includes fanciful Druids. The guy that played "The Governor" in the Walking Dead plays a Roman General in it.

ETA: I just recalled that the series about the Britons during the Roman invasion of Britain is called "Britannia".

------------------------------------

I loved "Vikings", and now there is a sequel out that is the story of Leif Erikson. It's only one season in, however, so I'm biting my nails waiting for the next season. I wrote a 30 page paper in high school about the discovery of Vinland, and have a good grasp on it, all the sagas involving the Vinland discovery. Later in life, I found that I'm a DNA match to some unknown settler buried at Brattahlid, Erik the Red's homestead in Greenland, so it's more visceral now.

Freydis is fascinating. in a fight with the Skraelings (Indians) in the original sagas, it was recorded that she berated the Viking men for not fighting hard enough, and snatched up a dead Viking's sword, ripped open her bodice, and slapped her breasts with the sword while screaming at the Skraelings... the sight so terrified the Skraelings that they ran away.

That's one badass chick.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - GeauxHomeLittleD - 12-04-2022

(12-04-2022, 07:49 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 07:34 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Currently watching Barbarians on Netflix. So far so good. Germanic tribes V. Romans ala "Vikings" style.

I liked "Barbarians". There is another series, or maybe the same one since I can't recall the name of it, that pits Britons against Romans during the Roman invasion of Britain, with a 1960's theme song that reminds me of "Hurdy-Gurdy Man". That was a pretty good one, too. It includes fanciful Druids. The guy that played "The Governor" in the Walking Dead plays a Roman General in it.

ETA: I just recalled that the series about the Britons during the Roman invasion of Britain is called "Britannia".

------------------------------------

I loved "Vikings", and now there is a sequel out that is the story of Leif Erikson. It's only one season in, however, so I'm biting my nails waiting for the next season. I wrote a 30 page paper in high school about the discovery of Vinland, and have a good grasp on it, all the sagas involving the Vinland discovery. Later in life, I found that I'm a DNA match to some unknown settler buried at Brattahlid, Erik the Red's homestead in Greenland, so it's more visceral now.

Freydis is fascinating. in a fight with the Skraelings (Indians) in the original sagas, it was recorded that she berated the Viking men for not fighting hard enough, and snatched up a dead Viking's sword, ripped open her bodice, and slapped her breasts with the sword while screaming at the Skraelings... the sight so terrified the Skraelings that they ran away.

That's one badass chick.

We watched that, Vikings:Valhalla I think is the name. Hoping for a new season, they def left it open for one!

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 12-16-2022

Still want a Tesla chip in your head to connect to the multiverse?

Anyone watch this Amazon series? (I have not, yet)

[Image: XJ6JHC8.jpg]
IMDB

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Finspiracy - 12-17-2022

I next to never watch TV shows. But about a year ago i had this 2 week free trial period of Amazon prime. I watched about 5 or 6 first episodes of animation "Undone". I am getting Amazon prime soon again, because i have to see the new Lord of the rings. Quaranteed, i will watch undone also. It is great, especially with weed.

This lovely young Lady almost dies in a car crash and then weird stuff starts to happen.

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - Snarl - 12-17-2022

(12-02-2022, 11:37 PM)Freija Wrote: Ancient Apocalypse with Graham Hancock was entertaining.

Saw this just as it came out. I respect the way he delivers his opinions.

Was down-right surprised he was not allowed to do his thing on the Serpent Mound. Shocked that the people who control access could deny him entry based on having an alternative take on something's origins.

Talk about a tightly 'controlled' narrative. Wonder what they're afraid of.  Laughing

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - GeauxHomeLittleD - 12-18-2022

Just popping in to make another recommendation. We are currently watching "Godless", a limited series on Netflix. If you are a fan of Westerns it has been pretty good so far. We're currently on episode 4. The story and characters get better as it goes along and it has several actors you will recognize. 

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 12-18-2022

(12-18-2022, 05:53 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: Just popping in to make another recommendation. We are currently watching "Godless", a limited series on Netflix. If you are a fan of Westerns it has been pretty good so far. We're currently on episode 4. The story and characters get better as it goes along and it has several actors you will recognize. 

"...La Belle, New Mexico--a town inhabited, after a mining disaster, almost entirely by women."  Well, ok now, that caught my attention. Surprised

[Image: njadbMu.jpg]

RE: TV Shows... What's good, what's not and everything in between... - EndtheMadnessNow - 01-06-2023

Why them dirty bastards! Tappingfoot

Quote:1899 cancellation proves a sad truth about Netflix

Back in 2017, Baran Bo Odar and Jantje Friese changed streaming audiences’ perception of international TV with Dark, the mind-bending German time travel series. After three successful seasons, it seemed like its creators would have a blank check to create a new franchise.

Their follow-up was 1899, a multi-language maritime thriller and one of Netflix’s most anticipated shows. Like Dark, it was a slow-burn “mystery box” show, ending with a shocking reveal that was practically begging for a Season 2 renewal. But now the series has been unceremoniously canceled. What happened to prompt a flop from such proven talent? The issue isn’t the show itself, but the environment it was released into.