Rogue-Nation Discussion Board
Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation Discussion Board (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Forum: Survival and Sustainability (https://rogue-nation.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Thread: Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase (/showthread.php?tid=1032)

Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase - Infolurker - 07-22-2023

Just a heads up as it appears this all started in the last few hours and I have not looked myself (Sam's Club Still Had 50 pound bags of rice for 25 and change yesterday).

Supposedly, after India's announcement of rice export ban, prices are going up and in some places limits and major mark-ups.

Again, just an FYI

RE: Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase - NightskyeB4Dawn - 07-22-2023

(07-22-2023, 07:16 PM)Infolurker Wrote: Just a heads up as it appears this all started in the last few hours and I have not looked myself (Sam's Club Still Had 50 pound bags of rice for 25 and change yesterday).

Supposedly, after India's announcement of rice export ban, prices are going up and in some places limits and major mark-ups.

Again, just an FYI

How is the quinoa and the couscous stocking and pricing at the moment?

I am a bit tired of  rice, ramen, and pasta.

RE: Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase - Infolurker - 07-22-2023

(07-22-2023, 07:23 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: How is the quinoa and the couscous stocking and pricing at the moment?

I am going to share one of my best prepping secrets.

Keystone beef is outstanding. Walmart.com has a little secret in purchasing it. The 2 Pack, when available is 15.48, limit 6 two packs per order. I generally order it weekly. At about 7 bucks a can, it is the best deal in prepping I know of and delivered to your house for free. For me, it is a about 84 bucks for a dozen cans.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Keystone-All-Natural-Beef-28-oz-Can/2243197828

RE: Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase - Ninurta - 07-22-2023

(07-22-2023, 07:23 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: How is the quinoa and the couscous stocking and pricing at the moment?

If you have goosefoot growing in your area, goosefoot seed can be gathered and substituted for quinoa. They are the same plant - chenopodioum - just different varieties. The original Indian Eastern Agricultural Complex - the first one, before corn was introduced to North America - included goosefoot as a domesticated crop. The seeds were cooked and eaten as quinoa, and the leaves were eaten as greens. Old leaves were burned to ash and used as a condiment to season food because of their high salt content. Chenopodium tends to pull salt out of the ground.

The domesticated variety was chenopodium jonessianum, which was domesticated from the wild variety we still have, which is chenopodium berlanderii. The only difference was that the domesticated variety had a seed coat that was only about half as thick, It was still being grown by the Indians here when the first Europeans arrived, but alongside the corn introduced from Central America. Descriptions the English gave of it is how I know the ash was used for the salt content.

In a thick stand of goosefoot, you can gather about a quart or so an hour of the seed which, when cooked, yields a good bit more volume.

RE: Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase - Infolurker - 07-30-2023

It has started. NBC News is covering it.

Videos of Panic Buying in the United States now:

NBC News: India's ban on rice export triggers panic buying across the U.S.

RE: Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase - Infolurker - 07-30-2023

RE: Food Panic Buying Has Started. Stores limiting purchase, some at 300% price increase - ancientlight - 07-30-2023

Almost as if they want panic and panic buying? No that couldn't be the case not at all, not more fear mongering  Shy

(07-30-2023, 04:29 PM)ancientlight Wrote: Almost as if they want panic and panic buying? No that couldn't be the case not at all, not more fear mongering  Shy

I believe it is an intentional "contraction" of the food supply, not just with Rice but generally "everything".

You peasants won't waste food when you have barely any available. Now eat what we give you.

Cricket paste, yummm.... The beef and chicken is NOT for the little people. That is reserved for the "special" people only.

The Future Of Food:

https://www.weforum.org/communities/shaping-the-future-of-food

Quote:Meanwhile, food and agriculture is currently responsible for up to one-third of global greenhouse gas emissions, 70% of all freshwater withdrawals, and is the main driver of deforestation and biodiversity loss. Yet despite this, around 931 million tonnes of food went to waste. 

We need to fundamentally transform our food systems to provide all humanity with affordable, nutritious and healthy food within the limits of nature by 2030, in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement. Achieving this transformation within a decade requires us to rapidly re-think and reshape our global food systems. Success rests on millions of smallholder farmers adapting to sustainable practices, billions of people improving their diets, and an ecosystem of actors that can enable transitions.

This will demand an unprecedented level of regional and country action, supported by global leadership and underpinned by multiple integrated programmes and large-scale initiatives to leverage technology, streamline value chains, and adjust market systems.

https://www.weforum.org/whitepapers/transforming-food-systems-pathways-for-country-led-innovation

Quote:The need to urgently transition food systems to net-zero, nature-positive that can nourish all people, leaving no one behind is more critical than ever.